Thursday, April 15, 2010

Last night I was feeling overwhelmed. I do hair part-time in our home and raise our 3 kids at the same time. Days like yesterday when I have few breaks to fix food, clean up ect, just gets overwhelming as I try to "do it all." I was especially feeling bad last night because I hadn't really been able to play with or teach the kids ANYTHING that day. I put the baby to bed and sent my two older kids to play upstairs while I cleaned up downstairs. I just couldn't shake my guilty feeling so I knelt down to pray. I prayed that I might be a better mom and that I might know if working part time was the right thing to do. We really need the extra income right now and it is a huge blessing that I am able to do it from home. Anyway the prayer went on and in the end I asked for help discerning the Spirit and being a better listener that I might feel the promptings and hear the still small voice so that I could be a better mother. I said Amen and my phone rang. Somehow I knew it was something. I said hello and my good neighbor was on the other end informing me that my oldest child had climbed out the window upstairs and onto the roof and that he was about to do it again. I said WHAT??!!!! and bolted up the stairs as fast as I could just in time to see Gavin sticking his legs out the window. I screamed and ran and grabbed him. I was shaking and starting crying so hard. I was TERRIFIED!! I couldn't believe he didn't' understand the danger he was in. The roof on that part of the house is VERY steep and only 2.5 feet out from the window. I am amazed he didn't fall the first time he got on the roof. He said he laid down and held on. I was sick to my stomach. He had kicked the screen out and it was just a scary sight.
I just felt so thankful that my neighbor had at that moment looked at that small part of my house and saw Gavin and called me. Just a tender mercy how the Lord works through other people. I will be forever grateful.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

oooh, scary...and you are not the first person this has happened to! good to have good neighbors and the holy ghost. sorry you are overwhelmed...if you have a busy day, call your visiting teacher, she would be happy to babysit for a while!

Amber Lynn said...

HOLY CRAP!!! GAVIN>>>>> I say that like im his mom.. how scary for you.. and Taun you are an amazing woman, wife, and mother!!! I hope only to keep looking up to you and some day be able to do all that you do and look beautiful still like you! just know that I think your amazing!

Haley and Lance (but probably just Haley) said...

Oh yikes, I'm glad things ended well with the Gavinator. As far as the work stuff, I'm not sure what to tell you. My only advice would be to be open and receptive to the spirit, and it sounds like you already are so I'm sure you'll be guided at some point, even if it's not right away. Good luck. :)

Audrey Crisp said...

Hey Tauni! Cute blog! What a great story. That story could have came in handy today at church during my holy ghost lesson. Haha... Glad he's okay. Your kids are adorable and you look great! ; ) Good luck figuring out what to do about work. I'm sure you're already a great mom!